When I had visited some of the Amish homes I noticed something right away. These women wore a very basic style dress. They had an assortment of different patterns and colors but only one style. There stockings were one color, their shoes one color. I had to laugh one time as someone had given me one of their dresses to wear and I said, “Oh! I can’t wear that I don’t have any nylons to match the dress.” I looked quite silly as they wouldn’t worry about “matching” as I did in my heathenistic ways LOL.
What I took away from that was that their wardrobe was simple. A very basic one. I don’t dress like I used to before, but I did take many of those simplistic principles with me as I created a wardrobe for myself.
Why make the change:
Having a simple wardrobe means that you can:
- Enjoy everything you wear, everyday.
- Have an easier time picking an outfit in the morning.
- Feel refreshed instead of burdened or overwhelmed when you open your closet.
How to make the change:
I know there are many different ways to simplify your closet, this is how I do it myself. For those of you that don’t like plain and simple, this might not work for you but for those ready for a change, I challenge you to try my way.
- Pick a staple color as your base wardrobe color. Mine is brown.
- Keep your undershirts the same color. I wear layers of clothing for modesty reasons, I almost always have on a undershirt. I have about 4 brown colored t shirts to wear under my outfits.
- For bottoms, I have many solid color skirts–brown, jean, and khaki. I do have some other stylish skirts and the main colors are brown.
- My dresses have browns in them. When I am shopping I look for those colors and know that I already have an undershirt to go with. The same for my other skirts, when I keep my theme color brown, then I know that I can mix and match things and since they are the same “base” color they will work together.
- For my summer wardrobe, I spice it up a bit and add purple colors to my wardrobe.
- For shoes, I keep them simple brown. Brown boots and brown sandals. Simple.
- For socks, I keep them black. I should go brown, but haven’t found them yet. All the same, no worries about unmatched pairs, because they are either ankle socks or knee highs.
By keeping my wardrobe with a staple color has helped me tremendously when shopping because I know what I am looking for and that it will pretty much go with what I have at home. Simple, basic, and easy.