Importance of calcium
As a woman, it will be important for you to get enough calcium for your bones, teeth, and if you are carrying a baby for your unborn child.
Most people think that you can only get calcium through dairy products like milk and cheese, but that is untrue. Here are 10 foods that contain a high amount of calcium.
- Almonds contain almost 100 mg of calcium per ounce.
- Kale is a super food which is high in calcium, other minerals and antioxidant. Cook as a side dish or add to your salad for an extra calcium boost.
- Broccoli can be steamed for a high calcium side dish or add it raw to salads for an extra boost.
- Oatmeal provides a significant amount of calcium. Just one packet of instant oatmeal provides about 100 mg.
- Black eyed peas are a good source of calcium, potassium, folate, and other nutrients.
- Orange juice added to your breakfast will boost your calcium levels. You can even buy calcium enriched orange juice.
- Salmon is a nutritious fish loaded with essential fatty acids, but it is also rich in calcium and other minerals.
- Blackstrap molasses used in place of some of the sugar or syrup in recipes will help increase your calcium and iron intake. Molasses contains even more calcium than milk.
- Figs are a great source of calcium. Four of them will provide you with more than 100 mg of calcium.
- Sesame seeds sprinkled on cereal or salads can add higher calcium levels along with fiber and unsaturated fat.